BENEFITS OF ALA CERTIFICATION
- Nationally-recognized organization
- Training for individuals or small groups
- Get certified right away!
- Lowest price guaranteed
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Certification training at your own pace
- Online training videos and materials
- Get paid for your referrals
- Offer swimming lessons through ALA endorsed swim program
- Discounts given to employers for staff training [Contact us for details]
- Certification issued the day you complete program
- Certification listed on national verification website same day of completion
The American Lifeguard Association (ALA) is a national educational association with the full support of both the Swimming Pool and Spa Association and Global Lifeguards, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Both of these organizations are members of the Global Lifeguard Association, one of the largest worldwide aquatic consortiums, which has trained more than 250,000 certified lifeguards over the past 25 years.
The American Lifeguard Association is one of a select few nationally-recognized certifying agencies for lifeguards in the United States. To learn more about our association, you may obtain the latest news stories regarding the American Lifeguard Association nationwide efforts in the lifesaving profession we ask that tap American Lifeguard Association News.
To enroll in the Lifeguarding course, you may be any age, but US Labor Laws require that you must be 15 years or older to work at a swimming pool, waterpark, or lake, and 16 years or older to work at beaches. Our programs may be eligible for Continuing Education Unit (CEU) and also college elective credits. Upon completion, we suggest that you contact your school or university for further details and eligibility.
Don’t wait another day! Get certified and join our tens of thousands of active lifeguard members! Training is simple, and you can get certified right away! Click ADD TO CART at the top of the page to register.
3 SIMPLE STEPS TO COMPLETE THE ALA CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
Step 1: Review all video clips and online materials
Once you register, you will receive links to our online training videos, as well as an online lifeguard manual. These materials will cover various skills and techniques associated with CPR/AED and First Aid. You need to be familiar with and able to perform the skills shown in these materials.
All our programs require the participants to practice and demonstrate their skills in and out of the water. You can find a full list of these swimming, rescue, and first aid skills below. Upon successful completion of this step, participants will obtain a Deep-Water Lifeguard certification as a titled Professional Lifeguard along with First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Per the new national standards, the certification will be valid for two years from the completion date.
Step 2: Complete the online exam
After you have reviewed the videos and additional online materials and are able to accomplish your skills, you will need to go online and take the final written exam. Successful completion of the final exam requires a score of 80% or higher. You may review your online material if needed at any time. There is no time limit to take the exam, but it must be taken at one time for you cannot leave the exam and return where you left off. If you leave the exam, you will need to start it over until completed. If you do not receive a passing grade, you can retake the exam until you pass at no additional fees. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive a full printout of your exam score along with the correct answers to any questions you may have gotten wrong. We require that you look over your exam results to help ensure you know all the right answers.
Step 3: Attend one half-day water review session
Instructions for selecting a date and time will be emailed to you when you register for the certification program through the ADD TO CART option at the top of page. Once you’ve completed the online portion of the certification, you will attend the half-day water review session to finish your certification program. All review sessions are open for registration at this time.
Upon completion of the above steps, you will receive an email confirming your successful completion of the ALA certification program. We request that you print out a copy of your American Lifeguard Association certification for your records. In addition, a waterproof, wallet-sized certification card will be mailed on the next business day.
Finally, your certification records will be placed in the National Verification system. This system allows your validated certification to be viewed by employers and health department officials.
2019-20 WATER REVIEW LOCATION AND SESSION DATES/TIMES:
The half-day Saturday water review sessions are offered year-round. You only have to attend one. Our program provides you the freedom to reserve a space on a Saturday that best fits your schedule. All review sessions are open for registration at this time and once you pay you will be given the link along with the instructions to hold your slot that best fits your schedule. You will need to attend only one review session.
All ALA Saturday water review sessions will take place at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) in Fairfax, Virginia. The JCC located at 8900 Little River Turnpike; Fairfax, VA 22031. The center is just one mile west of the 495 Beltway on the right of Little River Turnpike. We ask that you not call the JCC directly. If you have any questions concerning dates or times, please email us at email@example.com.
Offered Year Round:
All review sessions are open for registration at this time and once you pay you will be given the link along with the instructions to hold your slot that best fits your schedule. You will need to attend only one review session.
2020 Upcoming Dates and Times:
- February 15, 2020, from 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
- March 21, 2020, from 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
- April 2020 every Saturday from 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
- May to mid-June 2020 every Saturday from 7:00 am–2:00 pm
- Mid June to end of August every Saturday from 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
To enroll in the program, click the ADD TO CART button at the top. Once you register and pay, we will email you full instructions on how to complete the online part of the program and reserve a space on a Saturday that best fits your schedule.
30-DAY PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE
We owe our success to you, our members, and we know that price is a critical concern. We want you to feel confident that by choosing the American Lifeguard Association® you're getting the best training at the lowest prices. Even though we routinely monitor our competitors to assure that our prices are competitive, if you find a lower price within 30-days of your registration, on any training we offer within the county where you live, at your local park authority, community pool, school, or university, we will match it instantly.
We must be able to verify the lower price through a valid website that we do not price match. Lower prices that cannot be confirmed will not be honored. The training cannot be offered by an employer who you must go with regarding employment, for many times you receive reduced pay for the lower priced course.
To take advantage of our offer, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime within 30-days of your initial registration. Include the website, link, or advertisement where you found a better price. Once price and source are confirmed, the American Lifeguard Association will instantly refund the difference. This offer is in addition to our 30-day satisfaction money back guarantee.
You are encouraged to check with your health-care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the activities, or there are questions about fully participating in the lifeguard course, please contact us by email.
Lifeguards are essential for helping to keep aquatic facilities safe. Unlike most other professional rescuers, lifeguards are present to prevent emergencies from occurring. Injury prevention is a primary focus for a lifeguard. Therefore, the program teaches how injuries occur and how they can be prevented. We will also teach proper surveillance, prevention, and victim recognition information.
SKILLS COVERED IN THE PROGRAM
If you can answer “yes” to the following questions, you will pass the swimming test portion of the lifeguard certification requirements.
- Can you swim for 300 yards without stopping using the following 3 strokes in this order and with the proper form?
- Front crawl (freestyle) for 100 yards
- Breaststroke for 100 yards
- Either the front crawl or the breaststroke for the final 100 yards
- Can you retrieve a weight from the bottom of the pool within a time limit of 1 minute and 40 seconds?
Beginning in the water, you must swim for 20 yards using either the front crawl or the breaststroke. Then, you must complete a surface dive to “rescue” a 10-lb weight that is 7–10 ft below the surface. Once the weight is retrieved, you must swim back to the point where you started (a distance of 20 yards) and get out of the pool without using steps or a ladder.
- Slide-In Entry
- Stride and Compact Jumps
- Rescue Approach—Front Crawl or Breaststroke
- Simple Assist
- Extension Assist from the Deck
- Reaching Assist with Equipment and
- Throwing Assist
- Swimming Extension Rescue
- Active and Passive Drowning Victim Rear Rescue
- Two-Person Removal from the Water
- Using a Backboard
- Passive Submerged Victim—Shallow Water
- Submerged Victim—Deep Water
- Multiple-Victim Rescue
- Feet-First Surface Dive
- Front and Rear Head-Hold Escape
Caring for Head, Neck, or Back Injury Skills:
- Manual In-Line Stabilization for a Head, Neck, or Back Injury on Land—Lying
- Down, Sitting, or Standing
- Using a Backboard for a Standing Victim on Land
- Head Splint Technique—Face-Up Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique—Face-Down Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique—Face-Up Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- Head Splint Technique—Face-Down Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Up Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Down Victim, Shallow Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Up Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Down Victim, Deep Water at or Near Surface
- In-Line Stabilization for a Submerged Victim—Face-Up, Face-Down, or on One Side in Deep Water
- Using a Backboard in Shallow and Deep Water
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Skills:
- Removing Gloves
- Initial Assessment
- Rescue Breathing—Adult, Child, and Infant
- Using a Bag-Valve-Mask Resuscitator—Two Rescuers
- Conscious Choking—Adult, Child, and Infant
- Unconscious Choking—Adult, Child, and Infant
- CPR—Adult, Child, and Infant
- Two-Rescuer CPR—Adult, Child, and Infant
- Using an AED—Adult, and Child
First Aid Skills:
- Secondary Assessment
- Controlling External Bleeding
- Applying a Sling and Binder
- Applying an Anatomic Splint
- Applying a Soft Splint
- Final Skill Scenario 1—Active Drowning Victim
- Final Skill Scenario 2—Submerged Passive Drowning Victim
- Final Skill Scenario 3—Head, Neck, or Back Injury.
The American Lifeguard Association suggests that all employers should follow the national standards and test each candidate they plan to hire to ensure the candidate possesses the required skills. Employers should also further their staffs’ training through in-service programs to help increase their ability levels. At any time during employment, a staff member should be able to demonstrate their skills to show proficiency. It is therefore essential, even after you complete our program that you continue practicing your skills and work to improve them.
There is nothing more important than learning how to save a life, and nothing more rewarding than knowing you did it the right way. ALA has helped save tens of thousands of lives over the past quarter of a century. Learn to be alert, be professional, and save lives the right way. Get certified now and start saving lives!
To enroll in the program, click the ADD TO CART button at the top of the page. You can complete the certification program right away or at any time in the future. Remember, we offer a 30-day money back guarantee and a 30-day price match guarantee. If you find a lower price for your training or are not completely satisfied, simply email us and request a refund.
If you have any questions about the registration process or problems completing the program, please email us at email@example.com. We monitor our incoming emails 24/7 and typically respond to inquiries within just a few minutes.
Click on "ADD TO CART" at the top of the page to register.